Saturday, January 17, 2009

Perpetual Checkmate

If my life were a game of chess, with Whom am I playing? Would I be trying to win... or if I started to realize I had no chance of winning, would I join the other side, start another game, or just give up and go home? My life isn't a game. But every once in a while there is a coveted sense of God's closeness, and my hands, although willfully submitted, are also fully tied. Checkmate.

There are only two teams. We're either for Him or against Him. Do I want what He wants? Then I actually want the checkmate. I embrace it. It is a cover of humility that I carry around with me that reveals a submitted heart to the One who is going to win the game.


"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant..." (Phil. 2:5-7)

1 comment:

essie said...

good insight. i've often wondered the same thing... am i a pawn inside a game of chess? is the world like the chess board, and God moves me around to where i can be used for Him? of course, pawns don't seem to have much of a free will, so that's the point where i get stumped. but ultimately, i do believe that it comes down to two teams. you're either for Him or against Him.