Friday, January 2, 2009

Are you listening?

I assume that no one really hears when I speak. Sometimes I am okay with that. Other times I am mad at myself for assuming the worst. I speak briefly. With no detail. And. Summarize. Quickly. Before anyone can change the subject or get distracted. Because surely if that happens to me (again) that is a sign of disinterest. Neglect. That they don't care. Worthless banter. Again. And I wonder...

Yes, it is clearly in my childhood. I replay a video tape of a little girl repeating a comment over and over again as the adults in the room ignore the floating fragments like a stinky fart that wafts to and fro until it's power subsides and then extinguishes.

The irony is that no one would ever know that I feel this way when I speak. Around those with whom I know well, I speak freely and with confidence. It's not an issue.

But around groups? And I am going to be in a group tonight. And I am often in groups of people. They need to hear what I have to say. But my tongue cramps up and my brain turns off. Tongue-tied with nothing to say, I behave properly and don't waste anyone's time.

But when I am on stage...I suddenly know that I am heard. And believe that what I have to say affects the lives of those who listen. Surprisingly, I do not even wonder or blink. In fact, in most circumstances, I am even unbothered if no one is listening. There is an intimacy between me and God and a vulnerability that appears when I am on stage. It if it exists purely between the two of us, I do not care. And it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

But why does it take a stage to effect this change in my personality? To others, they might assume I am a hypocrite...so quiet in groups, and so bold on stage...

Muffled words
uttered quickly
sickly
As though you do not want to hear
I appear
sheepish
cheapish
Behind my useless lips
In another moment
I become changed
My fear exchanged
with careful carelessness
Abandonment
to purpose
Oblivious
to your time
or my time
But being there in
just the right time.

1 comment:

Heidi Karlsson said...

Like a screech
Of tires
Stopped before they had a chance
What,
Please shut up
If you knew what she could
You’d see her dance so
Stop yourselves and let her fly.

I watch
And wonder why
Could it be . . .
Timing ?
Give it some gas
Try again
Shut up everyone
Start
Stop
Like a single car
silent crash
I hope no scars

shut up
why aren’t you listening
it’s a mystery
why must you litter the path
when what she’s got
could
really go somewhere

Thing is
there’s lot’s more
of you
I saw pairs of sharp eyes, rapid replies
Opportunities denied

Unfortunately,
It only takes a few
big busses
to make a traffic jam
and I wonder if I am
part of the problem
or if somehow
I could turn traffic cop
And back those big guzzlers up


When will we learn love
And give the right of way
Away
This is my attempt to communicate
That I hear what you’re trying to say

. . . not useless.