Thursday, January 8, 2009

Rows and Rows of Nothingness...

Money to spend. Only me to spend it on. But the racks of clothing offered vague condolences. It was as unfulfilling to flip through rows of shirts as sorting through a haystack. So much straw. Not enough needles. Sure, I could use a few more shirts for variety in my daily life. But nothing spoke out, and I was lulled to listless discouragement at the repeating patterns and lying "sale" prices. Nothing spoke. Nothing called. And certainly nothing "jumped out."

I toyed with the idea of the seemlessly selfless act of giving it all away, leaving the responsibility to spend the gift of money behind me. But no one in the store jumped out at me either. Frankly, if they had, I'd probably hold more tightly to my purse.

So I faced a paradox today. To give...to spend...to hold. None of it felt right.

Meaningless. It's all meaningless.

2 comments:

essie said...

i agree

Dustanne said...

tough choice....even tougher when you have all the choices you want in front of you.