Monday, February 16, 2009

Overcoming the need to be GREAT.

Goodbye greatness. Hello humility.

It has been an interesting few days.

First, the family News. The convincing clues of innocence formed a menagerie we all wanted to believe in. Pushing all doubts behind us and choosing to be intentional about believing, we allowed ourselves to be persuaded.

After all, Love always believes the best. Always trusts. Always hopes. Always perseveres.

Wow...talk about making yourself vulnerable enough to looking like a gullible idiot!

Are you seriously supposed to believe the best even when there is a possibility that you are being lied to and manipulated? Even when there's a possibility that this situation will end up with even more pain? You mean, you don't accuse because that's what Satan does and you might end up consipiring with him?

Yes. Because there are no conditions for loving that way: No room for it in unconditional love. This is vulnerability in its purest form. Willingly submitted to the point of humility. To the point of death. And reputation. Because herein lies the secret to the "unconditional" part.

As you may already suspect, although the weekend started with Belief, it didn't end that way.

Initially, the performance came along for a while, and it was a good performance. And we so wanted to believe, and it became easier. And then, the Truth came in the sting of betrayal and mockery was pushed aside in favor of forgiveness and shadows of love (as we still know it).

What have I learned?
I have potential for failure. This is not morbid or sad. It is reality. The tip of humility. The moment I think I am any better than the least of these is the moment in which I fall from grace.

I have also learned practically how words hold the power of death and life. Specifically, I'd like to talk about lies. Lies are typically spoken to me when there is something I want to hear. That's why they're so powerful, and they're so easy to believe. They clone themselves as though they were to spread life, when they do not. How can I learn to tell if there is life or death coming from words when "love always believes the best"? Is it that extent to which I must humble myself to the point of becoming a fool?

Did people think Jesus was a fool? Yes. Did He defend or fight for His reputation? No. Not with words. He fought with His actions. He layed down His life for His friends. So does this mean that believing the best means laying down my reputation to fight for someone else's?

All I know is that Jesus already did the work. And words that are followed up with action are the only true words. Words that wash up on the shore are only seaweed: Of the sea, but not in the sea. The heart is in the action.

So how do I make sure I am loving not only with my words but with my actions as well? It's an overwhelming task fit only for a servant who esteems her master's tasks far more than her own. To extend His Kingdom before her own. To extend His arms within her own without conditions to liars and thieves.

So today I wonder, what is He asking of me?

To love
beyond my ability
I need His stability
to find nobility
Lower
Lesser
No longer
hiding under
the turbulent wind of
my reputation
my ego
my right to be right
But
serve sinners
just like me
and make dinners
without a fee
And love them
like He loved me
And to let my
words
be
few
and my actions
many.
-------------
This is my selfishness washed up at the edge of the sea...
to love with my heart and less debris.

2 comments:

essie said...

But whoso, shall offend {or to entice to sin, lie to, or scandalize...} one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone, were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. [Matthew 18:6]

JC said this right before He went on to speak on how we must forgive those who sin against us. not just once or twice. not even 7 times. but 7x77 times. and not just that, but don't even keep track of the number of times people sin against us. the people who scandalize us. the ones who do us wrong. our enemies. those are the ones we are told to love. and what's love? believing all things. it does sound foolish. it's so weird to wrap our earthly, unloving minds around it. but it's the truth and it's what sets us free. no more bondage to unforgiveness. no more being captive to bitterness and doubt. just freedom. sweet freedom. to love. and to know and trust that He's got your back.

i guess it's also why we ask for discernment. His discernment. we are so blinded by the wisdom of our own minds [thanks to that first bite into the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil], that we lack His wisdom. we couldn't recognize it if it were standing right in front of us. [which it is... it's actually calling to us] we think we know it all, and then we are surprised when we end up hurt.

although it's up to us to ask for His wisdom and discernment, it's never left up to us to be the judge. that's the beauty of it all. He's the judge.

it's funny [more ironic] how the first sin happened as a result of someone believing a lie. but the sin was not believing the lie, it was the choice eve made to disobey God's commandment. she could have taken what the snake told her to God. she could have asked God why, and asked Him what to do. but instead she believed the snake over her creator. then the act of disobedience, and BAM! sin. consequence. death. not good news for the world. but God still fixed that, as big of a mess as it was. He sent His son, and He gave us the gift of forgiveness. restitution. reconciliation. grace. mercy. true love.


i would so love to do coffee with you right about now. ;)

thanks for the glimpse inside your thoughts.

mdb said...

Some terrific points made :)