Thursday, March 5, 2009

Eat more

We are all hungry for something. The thing is, nothing in this world can satisfy my crazy appetite. My thought for the day is, How do we realize that our dissatisfaction is a gift from God? When we try to fill that insatiable hole that cannot be filled with the things around us...it is then that we realize there's got to be more.

Chocolate. I've learned that one first hand. Oh, I'll just have a little piece, I lie to myself. Not only do I not only have just one piece, but even two pieces don't satisfy...The guilt doesn't kick in until later when I realize that even when I eat without reservations, I am still not satisfied.

Matt. 5:6 "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled."

People. We are all fallible. When place our trust in a human being, we will be disappointed. When I go to people first for their advice and affirmation when I should be seeking God and depending on Him leaves me feeling like no one understands me. But that's because there's only One who does...

Prov. 3:5-6 "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and
lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight"

Things. I have a pair of black shoes that, sure, they were cute in their day. But when I wear them, I compare them...and frankly, they are not in style anymore. Does this cause me discomfort? Why? It doesn't change who I am inside. Do I really need a new pair of shoes...? Wasting my energy on feeling strange that I don't meet the current social standard is not helpful.

Phil. 4:19 "And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus."

So have I realized yet that there is only one source for everything I need. And when I'm needy for more, He actually gives it freely. More hope? If I'm hoping in Him, I won't be disappointed. More love? He's gives it without measure. More blessing? He wants to bless me more than I will ever realize. More understanding? He knows me better than I know myself.

When I ask Him, He fills. But when I think what I really want is chocolate and I'm not asking Him to fill my soul's cravings, I am left empty.

Can it really be so simple? I think so. Only the truth can set us free. If we're bogged down, it's because we have not fully realized the truth.

I don't get how easy it is to see these words on paper but how difficult they are to actually do. What is He saying to me today? What am I craving?

Rom. 4:17 "...God ...gives life to the dead and calls things that are not as though they were."

1 comment:

essie said...

"...the Lord is my shepherd, i shall not WANT."
i've been realizing and learning the true meaning to that, also. if "wanting" is what drives you, then it leads to selfishness, jealousy, and greed. but if He is what drives you, then you don't "want". you trust Him to satisfy you, and you realize that He will never leave you thirsty or hungry or cold or naked.
when you are content in His goodness, then you are blessed beyond your imagination! then we can spend less time wanting and more time being thankful and truly grateful. when He is your source and your core, then He is enough. it's such a good place to be. better than that cold, lonely place of wanting and dissatisfaction...
this was a good read!